Are you thinking of joining the fashion industry? It’s a glamorous career for sure. Fast-paced, exciting, and an opportunity to exercise your creativity. The ting is, though, it takes a lot of hard work to get into the fashion industry. You also need to do lots of internships in order to develop the right networks.
But before we get to all that, you need to go to the best schools to improve your chances of getting in. In other words, you need to be prepared if you want to get into the fashion industry, whether you want to do design or retail sales or anything in-between.
A reputable school might be the difference between getting a job with an A-list design house straight out of school and job searching for many years after you get your papers.
How to get into a fashion design school
But before we dive right into our list of best schools, here are a few tips to help you land a spot in a fashion design school:
- Work on your design skills. While fashion design schools teach you this stuff, the best of them are very competitive, so you need to already be good at design to improve your chances of getting in.
- Build a portfolio. As you work on your design skills, build a solid portfolio to help you show off what you’ve learned. You can then present this portfolio when applying to a school.
- Have good grades. Fashion design schools like to take in students who have already demonstrated their love for learning. Having good grades in high school shows that you’re willing to put in the work and study hard in school.
- Write a good cover letter. If you’re good enough a writer, you should be able to do this yourself. If not, focus on building a portfolio and instead outsource this work to an essay writing service. Don’t worry, they are perfectly legal. The article Is Edubirdie Legal? talks about this in more depth.
And now, without further ado, let’s take a look at the best fashion design schools to try out in 2021.
1. The Fashion Institute of Technology
FIT is often compared to MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and is usually called the MIT of fashion. This school offers numerous programs, including fashion design, illustration, modeling, marketing, and business. Many notable people have been here, including Caroline Herrera, Michael Kors, and Calvin Klein.
This prestigious school offers courses in Fashion Science, Fashion Design, and Fashion Marketing. Many famous people are alumni here, like Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang, Jason Wu, Donna Karan, and Tom Ford. The school works to maintain ties with alumni, so they often come to speak at seminars and workshops, giving students a great chance to interact with their favorite designers. Just recently they had a seminar with Proenza Schouler and Donna Karan in attendants. With such prominent designers showing up at your school on a regular basis, your career prospects are all but guaranteed!
3. London College of Fashion
The London College of Fashion is a prestigious school located in a beautiful British city. If you’ve always wanted to visit the UK and London in particular, why don’t you do it while simultaneously attending one of the most prestigious schools of fashion design in Europe? This school has programs including fashion marketing, merchandising, fashion criticism, beauty, and journalism. There are even courses that specialize in accessories and footwear. Some notable personalities that have been here include Rupert Sanderson and Jimmy Choo.
4. Central Saint Martins College of Art – University of the Arts London
The Central Saint Martins college has many notable alumni, including such household names as Christopher Kane, Stella McCartney, Paul Smith, and Alexander McQueen. Programs offered here include fashion design, marketing, textiles, and even jewelry design. This school is partly funded by the British government, so it’s not too expensive to learn here, and they will gladly take you if you’re talented.
5. Bunka Gakuen
If you fantasize about studying in Asia, then you’ll be glad to know that it has many top fashion schools. One of these is Bunka Gakuen, located in Tokyo, Japan. This is a great place to get the best of East and West when it comes to fashion. The school consists of the Bunka Fashion Graduate University and the smaller Bunka Fashion College. Undergraduate programs offer fashion engineering, fashion marketing, fashion technology, fashion accessories and textiles, and fashion distribution. The Bunka Fashion Graduate University offers graduate programs, including fashion management, fashion creation, and design.
And with that we conclude our small list. Consider applying to as many of them as you can. As long as you follow our tips, your chances of getting in will be high.
Emma Rundle has been writing and editing for many years now. She loves to write and read, and you will most likely find her in a coffee shop somewhere, typing away a masterpiece. When she’s not writing, she loves to attend improv shows.