There are many health issues that people are afraid to talk about. For men, a common health concern that they shy away from sharing is erectile dysfunction (ED). The health issue involves a man’s sexual health and can hinder his self-esteem and mental health. It is an issue that affects more than 30 million men. Thus, men should be aware of its commonness and use this as a reason to speak about the unspeakable taboo health condition more.
Today we will share everything you should know about ED and how to start speaking about it more.
What Is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction is often referred to as ED. It is an issue that affects the flow of blood to a man’s penis, which can cause him to lack the development of an erection. In some cases, it can affect sexual intercourse and activity.
ED is a common issue that can be resolved with the right treatment.
What causes ED?
There are various factors that can contribute to ED. Some causes are not the fault of the person while others are.
Common causes include:
- A lack of blood flow to the penis
- Lack of exercise
- Excessive alcohol or smoking
- Heart conditions
Symptoms of ED
There are some signs and symptoms that you should be aware of that may indicate you have ED.
- Trouble achieving and maintaining an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
Lacking an erection or sexual desire can have a direct impact on a man’s self-esteem and mental health. Thus, it is important to seek help and open up about the issue for the sake of your physical and mental health.
If you do notice any signs or symptoms, it is important to speak about the issue and seek the right treatment.
How to treat ED
Various treatments are available to treat ED. Some are easy treatment methods such as medication.
Many ED medications are Viagra based medications that can improve the blood flow to the penis, which will help develop and maintain an erection. A common medication is Tadalafil, which will help before and during sexual intercourse and activity. Such medications are available online and in-store at pharmacies. If you are worried about the issue, speak to your doctor and they can provide the best medication to suit your needs.
Moreover, there are more invasive treatments for severe cases of ED. These include:
- Penile injection
- Testosterone therapy
- Penile implant
Another treatment tip that healthcare professionals will suggest is to improve your lifestyle. Although lifestyle choices may not directly resolve ED, they can play a part. Seeing as a lack of exercise and obesity is a common cause of ED, doing the opposite may reverse its effects. Partaking in a regular exercise routine will ensure that you maintain better health and wellbeing. Simply enjoying 20 to 30 minutes a day of exercise is enough to achieve a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
Tips for opening up about ED
For those that find speaking about ED difficult, you will likely need some reassurance and advice that ED is not a taboo subject. It is a common issue that affects millions of men. Thus, you are not alone. Here are some tips to take on board to help you speak about ED, which will improve your physical and mental health.
- Find a trusting friend. If you have a male or female friend that you can trust, then you will likely feel most comfortable talking to them. If you can find a male friend, it might feel easier. There, you will be able to share your problem and may even discover that they have it too. Or, they will support you and provide you with the best help in seeking treatment. It is nothing to be ashamed of and it can occur at any stage of life, so you are not alone and should find someone to confide in a talk about the issue.
- Find a comfortable location. You may need a comfortable location to feel more open and willing to talk. When you know who you want to talk to, ask them along to the location. There, you may feel more relaxed and open-minded, which will help you let out your thoughts and gain the best advice. Whether it be on the phone to a doctor or a walk in the park with your best friend, ensure that you are comfortable and relaxed as it will help with opening up.
When you come to terms with the issue and seek the right advice, you will feel more comfortable speaking about the unspeakable. You should never feel ashamed or hide the issue, as getting the right treatment will be effective and beneficial for your physical and mental health.